Friday, January 23, 2009

Hey Kids, Only 6 Hours to the World's Largest Ball of Twine

Every year the Children's Craniofacial Association (CCA) sponsors an annual family weekend. First of all, for those of you who don't know, CCA is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping children who have been born with facial disfigurement and their families. It is an awesome organization and their events are very enjoyable. It is held in different parts of the U.S. each year. We have been to two of these family weekends: one in Hershey, PA and one in Myrtle Beach, SC. In the ads for these trips, many people are quoted as saying that they"make this weekend part of their annual family vacation." I wish we could go every year, but I am not sure we have reached the status in life where we have an "annual family vacation." First of all, flying in a plane costs plenty of money, not to mention the price of hotels, food, activities, etc. Secondly, family vacations are exhausting and anything but relaxing for the adults involved.

I think my family reached "annual family vacation" status when I was about 7 or 8. We went to a place, I believe called Pennswood, in the Poconos in PA. (FYI, there is an item in the by-laws of New York City that states that all city residents may vacation in one of 2 places: the Poconos or Florida. You must start with the Poconos and after - and only after - at least 3 years' experience, you may attempt Florida.) Anyway, I remember little about Pennswood except that it was like a little cabin on some sort of man made lake. I do believe that this is the most rustic place my mother ever stayed of her own free will. I do remember that it had a pool, and one day I got it in my head that I was Esther Williams and just jumped off the diving board into water 5 feet deep. My father had to jump in and save me.

The next year we went to the Host Town. Compared to Pennswood, this was like a country club. Again, my memory is fuzzy, but it was like a hotel resort type of place. They had a pool (and maybe a game room with pinball and stuff; no video games in those days).They had a dining room and each evening we would go over for dinner. I recall thinking that this was very fancy indeed; you got a fruit cup, I think, and then some sort of soup or salad before you even had your meal! Wow! Plus they came around with dinner rolls and the butter was in little pats shaped like flowers. They served things like prime rib and roasted chicken. To a little girl from Staten Island it was the dining room at the Waldorf Astoria. I also recall that my baby brother Matt was an infant, and so my parents would take turns going to eat with us older kids: My Mom and I would go together, then my Dad and brother Mike; or my Dad and I would go, then Mom and Mike. This was also very exotic. I think we had breakfast there as well, with the waitresses taking turns holding Matt while my parents ate.

After a few years at the Host Town I believe we went to Naomi Cottages, on Lake Naomi, wherever the hell that is. This cabin was more like a little house, and we spent most of our days at the lake. I don't recall this vacation well. Then our neighbors, the DelPretes, bought a second home in a Pocono development called Timber Trails. I think the house had 4 bedrooms. It had an open floor plan and was like a county home, with all the comforts of a city home. We each got to choose a bedroom. It also had a tree house and a tire swing. Heaven! Best of all, there was a road that went through the development that was for residents (and renters only). There was very little traffic so I was allowed to take one of the bikes in the house and ride around by myself. The freedom! I would explore all the little side roads that had rustic names such as Evergreen Drive, Country Crescent, and Barnowl Road. I loved Timber Trails, although I do remember a skunk spraying us all one night. I am not sure what my father had to do to get my mother to return to this house, but we went back to Timber Trails several times. Remember this place, as it features prominently in the second half of this post.

When I was 13 and had finished 8th grade, my parents submitted their application to the NYC Vacation Board and were granted permission for the big Florida trip. In June of 1981 we headed to Disney World. We stayed "off site"in a tiny hotel room, where my parents and brothers shared 2 double beds and I slept on a cot. I was just happy I didn't have to share. Disney World was incredible. I loved the rides and everything about it. I can only imagine how hard it was for my parents to afford this trip, but we all had a great time, at least from my perspective. Four years' later, when I graduated from high school, we went back to Disney World. Of course, by the this point I was too cool for anything, but I secretly had fun, even though I likely moaned and groaned about missing my stupid boyfriend and any other highlights of the Staten Island summer season. We stayed in one of the Disney hotels this time, and each night someone would come and turn down your blanket and leave a piece of chocolate there! I was sure this was a classy joint.

Despite all the mayhem and money these trips cost my parents, whenever I think about them I have a laugh and enjoy the memories. Stay tuned for Part Two: Annual Family Vacation Traditions.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

We were just talking about Pennswood this weekend during a discussion of some of our early vacation days. I'm glad you remember them and had fun (even in secret). I wonder what ever became of Pennswood? Probably collapsed after your mother's vigorous scrubbing weakened the load-bearing walls!

Anonymous said...

I recall the "off site" Days Inn fondly. I remember opening the door to our first "room" and my parents not being all too pleased. It was far too small and reeked of old, unattended soup. So, we moved to the palacial upstairs room mentioned in the above post. We celebrated what my mother claimed to be her 29th birthday in the small dining area and I proceeded to get my big, fat head stuck in the railing outside our "balcony" overlooking the stately pool. I'm sure the incident is now re-enacted with inexpensive Mexican actors in the intense, but grittily realistic "Days Inn Security Guard Training Videos." Harrowing to say the least.

All my fun on these trips was far too public.