Friday, April 10, 2009

You Can't Dress Them Up, But You Can still Take Them Out

Hello faithful readers, (Are there really three of you now? Yipee!)

I have been in a sentimental mood lately, writing about my childhood and grandparents. However, I must take a moment to write about something that has been irking me for some time now.

Here is a question to America: "When did it become acceptable to go out in your pajamas?" Before you think I am being sanctimonious and judgemental, hear me out. I am the first one to admit that I love flannel pajama pants; I would rank them as one of the greatest inventions of the 21st century. However, since they are sleepwear, or lounge-around-the-house wear, I always assumed they should be worn in the house only. Apparently, I am mistaken.

More and more, it is becoming commonplace for people to wear these pajama pants in public. I am sorry, but this is just gross. First of all, the fact that they are usually printed with pink flamingos, pictures of SpongeBob Square Pants, or beer bottles should clue you into the fact that they are not high fashion items. I am not sure how people decide which top to pair with these pants, but it is usually something hideous. People wear them everywhere: the grocery store, hotel lobbies, and last night, someone was wearing them in Friendly's. I do realize that Friendly's is not exactly an establishment of fine dining, but at least put a pair of jeans on, for God's sake. Last night at Friendly's, people came in to eat in pajama pants, dirty sweat pants, and slippers. Yes, one girl was wearing her slippers. I know they were slippers and not shoes because I've seen them in the LL Bean catalog a million times. I don't care if they are $50 slippers, they are still slippers. I was also treated to the sight of someone in workout shorts and flip flops, and a girl in pants so tight I could hear the pants screaming in pain every time she moved.

When I watch reruns of I Love Lucy, or an old movie, I am always fascinated by the clothes. While I know Lucy wasn't real life, she was always dressed in the most beautiful clothes. Even her casual clothes were gorgeous. She wore a hat and gloves when she went out, and always high heels. Ricky always wore a suit, or a coat and tie just to the movies. My own grandmothers almost always wore dresses and nice shoes, and my Great Aunt Lou, at ninety-something, always wears a dress and heels to this day. When my Grandma Salamo would take me "downtown" to Brooklyn, or to Manhattan, we always got "dressed up." I would wear a little skirt or dress and Grandma always looked nice in whatever she wore. In his later years, my mother's father took to wearing some old clothes until they fell apart, including a memorable black sweater my mother actually threw on the floor and stomped on, she hated it so much. (Stay tuned for more details on that event.)

Now I realize I am the last person who should be judging style or fashion. (My sister-in-law is much more qualified to do this.) I am a stay-at-home Mom who chases a 6-year old around much of the day and so I am usually wearing jeans, a sweater, and some clogs. Not very fashionable, but practical. I don't own a lot of fancy clothes because I don't go a lot of fancy places. I have some nice outfits, and I do try to dress up a little for a holiday or when I go out. However, I always look presentable and would never wear my pajamas outside unless the house was on fire.

Thank you for letting me vent on this important issue. And now I shall put on my flannel pajama pants and stay inside the house, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I almost fell out of my PJ's when I read your blog! I too feel that it is inappropriate even in this day and age. I think the days of being respectful when we dress are over. I see people in church wearing shorts and sandals,and those are the men!
I like your attitude.

Jim Pantaleno said...

I too love my flannel PJs but I wouldn't wear them out of the house. You want to ask these people: "Did you just give up? Is your life so far in the crapper that you absolutely don't care how you look?" But that might lead to fisticuffs, and my nose is big enough now.