Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ava, Laura and Malcolm - And Then Some

Well knock me over with a feather... A few weeks ago I posted a blog ranting about a TV show that follows the lives of a couple and their 8 children: a set of twins, and a set of sextuplets. (See blog dated and titled April 19, Stupid Is As Stupid Does.) Little did I know how an appropriate title that would be.



I will not go back into the details of this rant. Read it if you really want to know. Let's just say that the male involved in this reality mess has been caught "hanging out with a 23-year-old teacher". According to both the husband and the teacher, "they are just friends." Oh wait! There goes the turnip truck off of which we just all fell. (That sounds awkward, but my education will not allow me to end a sentence with a preposition.)



Let's examine this situation, shall we? A 32-year old man - the father of 8 children, star of a reality show thru which his whole life is exploited on TV - is photographed in a bar in the company of some college girls and this 23-year old woman. This man is dumb as a post, overtired, henpecked, and immature, and yet we are to believe had the discretion to tell these women, who are fawning all over him, "Sorry ladies, I'm taken." We are also to believe that this man who is continuously criticized (and not without reason) by his overly controlling, OCD, witch-of-a-wife on national TV is not going to be tempted at the thought of a young woman wanting him. Call me cynical, but I think he cheated.

I also happen to think it's a riot. I guess I shouldn't be happy at someone else's misery. However, as I stated in my first rant on this subject, these people have no one to blame but themselves for their situation. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them to have the in-vitro procedures that resulted in the 8 kids...and certainly no one forced them to then capitalize on this this by then blasting their private lives all over TV.

The wife is now on tour promoting her second book. That's right...she wrote one book, PEOPLE READ IT, and now she's written another. How a woman who has 8 kids finds time to write 2 books I'll never know. I have one child and I barely have time to write a grocery list (and this blog for my 3 fans). I also read today that this woman gets paid $50,000 to $75,000 per episode of her reality show. WHAT???? I assume her husband Romeo gets paid his own salary, which he's obviously squandering on booze and women (although not a bad way to squander money necessarily). So these 2 fools are making millions of dollars while the rest of us - who don't have TV cameras in our house 24/7 - are just working for a living. Unreal.

Perhaps I should write a pilot for my own reality show about a mother who has a child with rare craniofacial syndrome. Cameras could follow us everywhere: through dozens of surgeries, doctors appointments, countless hours of worry, oodles of sleepless nights, hours of research, etc.
I am sure it's not as glamorous as a couple with 8 kids, but who cares? As long as we make money, that's what counts. And all I have to do is what I - and millions of other women - do everyday. We just have to do it while all of America watches, judges, and then laughs when the perfect family turns out to be not so perfect after all.

2 comments:

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

I don't think that you being paid for what you suffer is so outlandish. I wish you could be compensated, maybe in some medical breakthrough. Of course it would only demean the real sacrifice you make everyday for your child, since money goes to the idiots you speak of already.

God bless you and your child, don't ever stop doing for that child.

Jim Pantaleno said...

You and Malcolm (and the rest of us who know her) have a greater reward than any of the morons who go on these reality shows...Ava herself. I can think of nothing so worthy of your love and sacrifice. Your proud Pop.