Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekend Notes

Well it's been a busy weekend here in Beeler-ville. Friday night started out with my monthly game of Bunco. Bunco a really easy, pointless dice game that you play with a group of 12. It's usually played by housewives who will take any excuse to get out of the house and have a cocktail. ("What are we doing? Cleaning out your garage? But you're providing wine and snacks? Count me in!") Anyway the game went on for a couple of hours and then a few of us hung around in my friend's hot tub. It was fun but by the time 11:00 came around I had to go home. I've learned something: I don't like being out late at night. The spirit is willing, but the body can't take it. I am tired. Always. By 10pm my favorite place is in my bed, under the covers, watching TV.

I didn't always used to be this way. I remember my parents moaning and groaning when I went out at 10pm. I thought they were so uncool. Now I get it. They were sleepy and didn't want to stay up to wait for me to drag my skinny little teenage butt into the house. I recall my poor father driving my boyfriend home on Saturday nights because my boyfriend was too young to have a car. I am sure the last thing my Dad wanted to do was schlep some loser across Staten Island at 11 pm, but he did it. And my Mom waited for us to return.

Anyway, back to the weekend. Saturday morning I worked, while Dad took Ava to a birthday party at a gymnastics place. Ava loved it. of course she did...the kids jumped on a huge trampoline and ran around like maniacs. After I got home we took Ava mini golfing at our local place. Ava said last weekend "I want to go mini-golfing as a family." Ava has a "thing" about her family, meaning me, my husband and her. She likes it when it's just the 3 of us. She also loves big family parties, but she gets very excited when the 3 of us go somewhere "as a family." She will say "Isn't it nice to do something as a family?" It's very sweet and cute, and I am glad she enjoys this time, as someday she will want me to hide behind a potted plant so no one knows we're related. The rest of Saturday was spent in our yard, with Ava on her swings and us making a barbecue.

Today Malcolm mowed the "lawn", which actually contains some grass now as opposed to just moss and weeds. Ava played in her wading pool, her bouncy house, and swings, while I chased after her and and helped her change activities every 15 minutes. She does something for a while, then moves onto the next thing. She did enjoy the wading pool and brought her doll along to "give her a swimming lesson." Tonight we had another barbecue and Malcolm is already asleep on the couch.

Life is funny sometimes. We plan and we plan, and things don't always work out how we imagined. If I planned these two days, they would have never worked...we just went with the flow and did just enough to keep us occupied, but not too much as to make us exhausted (although the snoring from the living room leads me to believe that Malcolm may disagree). It was a nice weekend and I enjoyed myself. And the best part is i can go to bed early tonight.

2 comments:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Some of the best days just "happen". Sometimes you plan a day, look forward to it for weeks, and when it's over...nothing. I love the days that turn out pleasantly enjoyable. Of course it helps when you spend them with the people you love.

PS. I never drove your dates home. I abandoned them in Masters parking lot after threatening to break their legs if they ever showed up again.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

TLW (The Little Woman) calls bed time with the TV; "Getting Comfortable."