Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deck the Halls with Trampled Bodies...

The holiday season is upon us. I happen to really enjoy Christmas, along with all the food, drink, family visits, and celebratory attitudes. I try to do my shopping in small batches and mostly on-line, because fewer things make me more cranky than fighting for a parking place at the mall, tearing through said mall, buying a bunch of overpriced crap, and then waiting a million hours in line while the inept cashier tries to figure out how to make change or change the register tape. Does not make me merry in the least.
So now that the holiday season has started, so has the accompanying madness. I rarely listen to or watch the news. Maybe I am ill-informed, but I don't really care. The news is depressing. Take, for example, the news from this past Thanksgiving weekend: a Wal-mart employee was trampled to death - yes, I repeat - trampled to death in NY state while a crowd of psychopathic shoppers ran to save $5 on some crappy electronic device. It seems that Wal-mart had advertised a flat screen TV (or something like that) for far less than the average price and they had 5 in stock. So a bunch of lunatics sat outside a Wal-mart in Valley Stream, NY for 29 hours to get a chance at getting this stupid TV. Oh, where do I begin? Here are just a handful of remarks that come to mind:
1. Anyone who sits outside of a store for 29 hours is an idiot. I don't care if the store is offering a Porsche for $1.99, it's not worth it. It's certainly not worth someone's life.
2. Anyone who is in a store at 5 am on the Friday after Thanksgiving is also an idiot. Sorry if you are one of those folks, but since only about 2 people read this blog, I am pretty certain I won't be offending anyone.
3. Stores should not be allowed to advertise such ridiculous sales. If you have people dumb enough to sit outside your store for 29 hours, Lord only knows what will happen when they are let loose in the store. Chances are they will behave like maniacs. Sales like these should be banned.
4. I am still unable to comprehend how anyone can be trampled to death. I could see if this was ancient Rome and perhaps you fell under the wheels of a chariot while it sped off to war, but this is 2008, people. To quote George Costanza, "We're living in a society here!" I would like to think if I was in a store and stepped on someone's sternum - or perhaps their head - that it would occur to me to help them up or at least say "excuse me". These imbeciles offered no help and just kept going.
5. Repeat #4, as this is still unfathomable to me.
6. Even after being told that someone had been killed and they had to evacuate, these morons replied, "We've been waiting in line since 5 am!" Hmmm, whose choice was that?
7. Last, but not least, the police are examining the security tapes to see if they can identify any of the heartless a-holes that stepped over his poor man and caused his death. I hope they find them, bring them up on manslaughter charges (Jack McCoy would figure a way to charge them with murder), and send the sons of bitches to jail for the rest of their miserable and selfish lives. Perhaps they'll be caught in a prison stampede and justice will be served.
Oh, by the way, have a Merry Christmas....pray you survive.

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

One of your two readers checking in, and no, I am not at all offended by your remarks. I spent exactly one Black Friday shopping (for gifts for you as I recall) and was cured for life. I only wish Jack McCoy could pursue the heartless zombies who trampled that poor man and bury them. Sadly, others are ready to step up and take their places. Our values continue to deteriorate as faith, hope and charity are replaced by greed, rudeness and stupidity. Merry Christmas to you too dear.